Referrals to Hospital
We use two methods of referral to hospital:
- Choose and Book - electronic.
- Standard - by post.
In both cases you usually have a choice of which hospital you would like to attend. Make sure you tell your doctor.
Choose and Book
We started using Choose and Book in February 2006 and now use it whenever possible - the majority of referrals are made this way. It depends on the hospital department having joined the service and on their having appointments available on the website:
- You choose the hospital you would like to go to.
- We search for the most suitable appointment for you over the internet
- We book the appointment for you over the internet.
- The referral letter is sent later, electronically.
- If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do so by calling our secretaries.
- If you have problems you can call us; we can monitor the progress of your referral.
These are used when hospital departments are not on the Choose & Book system, for local and community referrals (physiotherapist, dietician, midwife, counsellor etc), for situations where there is no choice (eg mental health) and for emergencies and admissions.
- Where a choice exists we offer you a choice.
- Your doctor writes a referral letter to the relevant department.
- The department writes to you with an appointment.
- If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do so by telephone to the number on the appointment letter.
- Please don't call us; we have no information about the progress of your referral.